Download 5733-OPS

Download 5733-OPS UDF via the My Entitled Systems Support website.

• Open in Firefox (or a browser that supports Java).
  • Visit My Entitled Software > Software downloads in the left sidebar.
  • Choose the appropriate Operating System and Version.
  • Choose 5770-SS1 and click continue.
  • Choose the language you would like and continue.
  • Use the hide/show link to open 5770-SS1 and 5817: i7.1 B_GROUP1 v07.01.00,ENU,DVD and then select F_MULTI_NLV_110_IBM_i_Open_Source_Solutions to download.
  • Use whichever download method you prefer. (Hint: there is a link for normal HTTP download below the buttons on the download page.)
  • Unzip UDF file to a preferred location locally and name it something convenient (5733OPS.udf)

Prepare the IBM i for 5733-OPS installation

I include command shortcuts with all the options I run, but I suggest prompting the commands (F4 key after copying/pasting the command) just to go over the options and confirm each. Assume all commands are on the green-screen unless otherwise specified.

• CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(OPNSRC) DIR('/5733OPS')
    • This command will create an Image Catalog (OPNSRC) in the library QUSRSYS. This will be tied to the directory /5733OPS on the IFS.
  • On your local: open a command prompt and run the following:
    $ cd /path/to/5733OPS.udf
    $ ftp user@remote_ip
    $ bin
    $ cd /5733OPS
    $ put 5733OPS.udf

• This will transfer the 5733OPS.udf file to the /5733OPS directory on the IBM i in binary mode.
  • wrkdevd opt*
    • This is to check if a virtual optical drive exists already or not. Look for something like OPTVRT01. If one doesn’t exist, do the following:
    • CRTDEVOPT DEVD(OPTVRT01) RSRCNAME(*VRT) LCLINTNETA(*N)
    • wrkdevd opt*, option 8 on OPTVRT01 for “Work with Status”, then option 1 for “Make Available”.
  • ADDIMGCLGE IMGCLG(OPNSRC) FROMFILE('5733OPS.UDF') TOFILE(*FROMFILE)
    • This command, Add Image Catalog Entry, prepares the previously created image catalog, OPNSRC, by adding the file 5733OPS.udf that we previously used FTP to put into /5733OPS.
  • wrkimgclg
    • Work with Image Catalogs will show a list of image catalogs. OPNSRC should be in this list. Choose option 12 on OPNSRC just to verify that 5733OPS.udf is there and loaded. Once verified, go back to the previous screen (wrkimgclg)
    • On the wrkimgclg screen, choose option 8 on OPNSRC for “Load” and put OPTVRT01 for the Virtual Device
  • 5733-OPS is finally ready for install!

Install 5733-OPS

Restore Licensed Program 5733OPS with options *BASE3. See apples for more detail.

• RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733OPS) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(*BASE)
  • RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733OPS) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(1)
  • RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733OPS) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(2)
  • RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733OPS) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(3)

Notes

PTF Group SF99368 (HTTP Server) needs to be level 32 or higher. An update to this PTF Group is necessary because after 5733-OPS is installed, the PTF Group SF99368 will have PTFs SI58797, SI57256, SI57255, SI57254, SI57253, and SI57008 available. This is for v7r1. v7r2 needs SF99713 level 5 (or higher).

• go ptf
  • Option 6 to order a PTF
  • PTF identifier – SF99368 – level 31 (or higher) – for v7r1
  • PTF identifier – SF99713 – level 5 (or higher) – for v7r2

Getting BASH, Python, Git, and Node to work properly

Although 5733-OPS comes with Node.js, and the tools to get BASH, Python, and Git working, there are a few more steps before they are usable.

• Install PTF SI58604, because 5733-OPS is pretty much useless without it. SI58604 sets up the /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/GCC folder with all the YIPS scripts and makes node available on the command line.
  • Once PTF SI58604 is installed, node should be usable on the command line. However, without Python working properly, node modules will not be usable. So, to get BASH, Python, and Git up and running all at once, run:
    $ cd /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/GCC
    $ ./pkg_setup.sh pkg_perzl_git-1.8.5.4.lst

while SSHed in or through qp2term on the green-screen. Running the package setup for git will install BASH and Python as prerequisites. If one wants them without Git, explore the options in the /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/OPS/GCC directory. There are other package lists that can be ran.

I choose to use 1.8 of Git, because the 2.2 implementation for the IBM i seems to be buggy. For example, when running git add individual-file.txt, it adds all files to the stage instead of the individual file. The same goes for git reset individual-file.txt. It resets the entire stage instead of the individual file. 1.8 of Git should be perfectly fine on a production server, though.

That’s it! You should have all that accessible through the command line. This will make your Unix geeks happy.

References